Thursday, September 13, 2012

What will I do in the States when I cannot find a trained in Paris, Vietnamese hairdresser???


Will I find anyone else with this level of focus? 

In his shop you will find precision, something common in this country (excluding construction and maintenance) but with a price - patience. 
But in this case you will find precision with results in 30 minutes or less.  Now that is something.

I am intrigued by the rapt attention to even the simplest of details.
The rough yet consistently steady hands.
The constant feeling that, just for now, I am in the hands of a master. 
A master creating his masterpiece.  And he will not allow me to leave until he has deemed his creation worthy.
He will not be distracted by the television, the customers walking in or out, the telephone ringing.  He has eyes only for this.  His focus is unwavering.
He is not one to lollygag. 

I can study his face without feeling awkward, because I am in Cambodia.
His eyes are dark and fixed.
His hands strong and firm.
His smile is a typical Southeast Asian smile – indescribable. 

All that for a measly 6 USD.
I never even look in the mirror.  If he is happy, I am happy.  The experience is somehow always enough.

Sometimes it’s the little things.


No comments:

Post a Comment