Saturday, December 15, 2012

Farewell (for now)


Scams, sarcasm, and satires aside.
I want to thank Cambodia and all Cambodians for sharing yourself with this undeserving American.  
I could never fully express my gratitude, but this is my frail attempt. 


Everything is surreal. 

I cannot comprehend leaving this place for an unknown period of time.  A one way ticket out of Cambodia feels like a mistake.   But sometimes you just have to step forward, to give of what you have and to openly receive what you have yet to learn. 

This past week, one part of me has tried to drink in every sight of the Kingdom of Wonder.  
Each and every naked baby is a flawless miracle.   
Every street has its own delightful flavor, every vendor her own unexplainable joy. 
I have seen every detail through a hazy lens of perfection.   
Nothing is not beautiful.  Everything is innocent. 

The other half of me is fighting reality, assuming this must be a dream.  I will never truly be able to leave this place that has become a part of my being.   I may leave physically, but I will remain. 

This place, which may appear different to each one of us, is truly a destination for dramatic change, for personal growth, and for evolving perspective.  Maybe you came to make a difference. Maybe you came for the lovely beaches.  Maybe you came to photograph the astonishing beauty that is Angkor.  Maybe you came for cheap booze and ‘happy’ pizza.  Maybe you came to ‘spread the gospel.’ 
None of that matters.  If you allow yourself to open up, to soak in the culture, to truly come to know the people, you will not be able hide from the true wonder that is this place.  You will never question the loyalty and defensiveness many of us 'foreigners' harbor.  You will completely understand why Cambodia is the Kingdom of Wonder.  It will find you, envelop you, and your soul will never be the same.  

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. I wish more visitors and expats saw Cambodia through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete