Saturday, February 11, 2012

A visit to the doctor...


How ironic is it that so many of us from ‘developed’ countries consider ourselves to be more advanced, intelligent, or progressive than those citizens of ‘primitive’ societies.  Maybe we are the ones that are backwards…

Latest story to share…
I have been having some issues and needed to see a doctor but kept putting it off. 
Who likes to go to the doctor anyway…?  Not me, especially after spending thousands of dollars (and yes I had insurance) of my savings on endless tests  in the States in 2010 that really proved nothing.  But maybe I should not hold this against all medical practitioners everywhere.  At least that is what I realized yesterday.

On Thursday I went to see a doctor here in Phnom Penh.  The clinic employs a mixture of both foreign and Khmer doctors.    I walked in and immediately felt the ‘atmosphere’ of Cambodia everywhere, there was a small waiting room with a mix of Cambodians and foreigners.  I walked up to the desk and said I have an appointment with Dr. Galina.  The receptionist said ok follow me and we walked right into the doctors office.  I filled out my paperwork - one half of an 8X11 piece of paper.  I gave my name, birthdate, nationality, address, phone number, and insurance provider.

She then asked me a few questions, figured out what she needed to know and told me what to do next.  She said, tomorrow morning I want you to go (with a full bladder) to Aurora Clinic and ask for an abdominal echography.  So I did it, was a little worried about the cost but I figured hey, it’s a  Khmer clinic, I will figure it out.   Walked into the clinic, no appointment, told the receptionist what I needed, waited about 3 minutes and then followed her into a room.

In the room, I immediately laid on the bed and a doctor asked me how I was feeling, why I was there, and so on.  She took the photographs and showed me each one.  She talked to me the entire time and was very friendly, hiding nothing.  She said everything looks great, please wait for the results.  I waited about four minutes and then was given a nice folder with each of the pictures printed inside (great quality by the way), a detailed description of every organ, and the bill… here is the catch.  
$15
Total
For everything.

It wasn’t dirty.
It didn’t waste an entire morning or afternoon.
It wasn’t primitive.
I didn’t have to wait an hour in the waiting room and then an hour in the room to talk to the doctor and then another hour in the room waiting for the technician.
I didn’t have to fill out 10 pages of paperwork.
The doctor is the one that did everything  Oh and she actually had time J
Best of all – I didn’t have to write a check for a grand.

Went back to the doctor at Naga Clinic (without an appointment might I add), she looked at the results.  Gave me a diagnosis, a prescription and I paid a total of $30.  To see a doctor, TWICE.   Oh and by the way, the pharmacy is IN the clinic so there is no going to a pharmacy and waiting for them to fill the prescription. 

Just thought it would be a fun thing to share.
Especially because I and almost everyone in my family has recently experienced the American medical system in all of it’s FULL and splendid GLORY!!!
And for me it’s that system that is backwards.  Not this one.

Maybe living with parasites in your system is 'normal.'

Maybe taking the time to greet and smile at almost everyone you pass is 'normal.'

Maybe seeing cows roasting on spits all over the city is 'normal.'

I don't really have a 'normal' anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment