Sunday, August 12, 2012

why can't there just be a middle ground?


There is a distinct line when it comes to the issue of trafficking.   It seems you are on one side or the other.  People vehemently defend their chosen side.  Why does this issue have to be so controversial? 

While it is difficult to argue the existence of trafficking, there are still some who would fight even the use of the term.  While many of the statistics surrounding the issue are questionable and thrown around carelessly, it is happening at some level on all continents (um except Antarctica).  It is something that should not be ignored.  Labor trafficking does not seem to arouse quite the amount of passion as “sex trafficking.”  Recently it seems it is sex trafficking that has so much attention and that is what I have been thinking about. 

What I question is not it’s existence. 
What I question is the focus of people’s passion. 
I know I have swung back and forth across ‘the line.’   
But why does it have to be so BLACK & WHITE, CUT & DRIED.  
Why does it seem like I have to choose to be either a Bible thumping missionary or an advocate for legalized prostitution? 
Why do I have to choose between praying for women or paying them for services?

Where is the happy medium?  I have met and respect people on both sides of the (invisible) line.  I just wish some of us could live in the middle without being judged by both. 

Every day I learn something new.  Next year my thoughts on this issue may have made a 180” turn.  I don’t know.  What I know is that I am neither a missionary nor a supporter of paying for sex.  But I’m not an expert.  It is up to you to have your opinion, your beliefs, please let me have mine too.  We have all had different experiences and have a right to our own opinion. 

Let me be free.  Let me revel in the knowledge that there are many, many experts out there doing an amazing job.  There are painstaking research tactics being conducted as I type.  I will continue to read, learn and study.   I will learn from them.  I will continue to meet the actual citizens of this place we all like to “label” and form opinions of.  Continue to learn about their own journeys and challenges.  My own opinions will evolve.  Just like these issues continually evolve. 

But don’t believe that everyone thinks like you.  Don’t even believe that everyone SHOULD think like you.

Why can’t we have meaningful conversations without overheating?  Without excess opinion but with relevant and trustworthy facts. 

Ya, ya I know it’s a “hot topic” and the latest celebrity trend.  I know it’s a sore subject for many.  But we can’t be judging and offending and criticizing the true advocates.  The ones who were there before it was trendy. 

You know what…
I can give out condoms while wishing, hoping and yes praying for the best. 
I can meditate and receive a blessing from a Buddhist monk without “going to hell”. 
I can care for and befriend the girls at the bars, the men at the bars, the ladyboys, pretty much anyone and that is ok too.

I’m not a missionary.  And I am not here to “save” anyone.  Haha as if.  

And I’m not an advocate for the sex industry.  I know it’s always been around.  I know it’s a part of culture and it isn’t my place to change someone else’s culture.


Just trying to figure out how to be in the middle.
How to let people know that not everyone is coming with one or the other.
Money and an agenda or a bible and an agenda.  


No comments:

Post a Comment